Welcome to the Holiday Marketeer blog series in which Boost Media serves up hearty portions of 2015 holiday digital marketing strategy. In this installment, we share our Cyber Monday SEM Checklist.
It’s time to prepare for Cyber Monday! To help get you through the rush and still have time to enjoy your holiday weekend, we’ve compiled a Cyber Monday SEM checklist, prioritized based on industry data.
#CyberMonday metrics that matter
- #1. Cyber Monday, 2014 was the biggest U.S. online shopping day ever, and it’s expected to be bigger this year.
- $300 million. The amount shoppers spent globally via the digital currency, Bitcoin during Black Friday and Cyber Monday in 2014.
- 3 p.m. EST. The drop-off point for Cyber Monday-related searches using Bing.
What these metrics mean for SEM marketers right now
Cyber Monday is expanding beyond the U.S. into a global online shopping event, taking place primarily during the work day. It’s even bigger than #BlackFriday for online sales. It is time to make last-minute preparations for capturing your slice of the $3 billion pie through SEM!
Cyber Monday SEM checklist:
- Review Boost’s #BlackFriday checklist. Repeat these tasks for #CyberMonday.
- Review and implement Boost’s Holiday Mobile Ad Creative recommendations.
- For brands offering alternative payment methods like Bitcoin, test out messaging in ads to let consumers know about this option, especially when advertising internationally.
- Most Cyber Monday search volume occurs earlier in the day. Flight your budget accordingly. Consider implementing time-of-day bid multipliers to better manage Cyber Monday spend.
- Remember that during Cyber Monday, most people are shopping from their desks at work. They don’t have a lot of time to shop. Consider messaging “free returns” or “100% satisfaction guarantees” to mitigate buyer’s remorse as a potential barrier to purchase.
- Remember to schedule your ads and sitelinks ahead of time so you aren’t busy uploading during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Carefully consider time zones when planning around peak shopping hours.
- The Cyber Monday-related searches are gaining popularity globally, according to Google Trends. Global brands should include Spanish keyword variations like “ciber monday” and “monday cyber,” which are rising in popularity across Latin America—plus “black monday,” a popular search within the UK.
Putting it all together
Ready. Set. Go! Implement these checklist items to ensure the success of your SEM program on Cyber Monday. Enjoy your Turkey dinner and score a few #BlackFriday deals of your own this weekend.
About Boost Media
Boost Media increases advertiser profitability by using a combination of humans and a proprietary software platform to drive increased ad relevance at scale.
The Boost marketplace comprises over 1,000 expert copywriters and image optimizers who compete to provide a diverse array of perspectives. Boost’s proprietary software identifies opportunities for creative optimization and drives performance using a combination of workflow tools and algorithms. Headquartered in San Francisco, the Boost Media optimization platform provides fresh, performance-driven creative in 12 localized languages worldwide.