Welcome to the Travel Marketeer, a weekly series where we examine data, insights, and ideas around marketing, creative testing, and ways travel brands can improve the online customer experience. In this week’s installment, we help travel marketers prepare to capture travel bookings related to the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
It may seem like the 2016 Rio Olympic Games are a long way off, but the process of requesting and purchasing tickets is already underway for fans around the world. Attention digital marketers of travel brands: This means people are beginning to research and plan expensive international travel. Fans are daydreaming about attractions to visit, places to stay, things to do, and ways to get there. The beginning of the customer journey to booking travel for this major international event starts now. What are you doing to prepare your Olympics travel marketing strategy?
Here are some ideas to get you started:
Evaluate historical data
- Review your digital marketing campaign and booking data from 2011 and 2012 to understand past behavior surrounding the Olympics.
- Analyze marketing data related to the 2014 World Cup, which was also held in Brazil.
- Utilize third-party data such as Google trends to evaluate intent, social monitoring tools such as Topsy to understand social interactions, and country reports from reputable research providers to understand the Brazilian digital landscape.
Develop creative that jives with the customer journey
- Generate content and creative that will hook people early in the process. Right now, customers want information and fun. Later, they will be thinking about logistics.
- Step into your customer’s shoes to understand the types of online activities they are likely to conduct at various stages in the olympics travel booking process. Early on, people will search for things like “when is the olympics” and “how can I buy tickets.” Later, they will read blogs about Rio and perform queries on specific neighborhoods to stay in.
Plan and create a schedule
- Put key milestones on your olympics travel marketing calendar now to help you stay on track to capture bookings.
- There are things you can plan and things you can’t. Do what you can ahead of time so that your resources are available to respond appropriately as things unfold.
This is the “Opening Ceremony” of the 2016 Olympics travel marketing games. Are you on track to medal?
About Boost Media
Boost Media increases advertiser profitability by using a combination of humans and a proprietary software platform to drive increased ad relevance at scale.
The Boost marketplace comprises over 1,000 expert copywriters and image optimizers who compete to provide a diverse array of perspectives. Boost’s proprietary software identifies opportunities for creative optimization and drives performance using a combination of workflow tools and algorithms. Headquartered in San Francisco, the Boost Media optimization platform provides fresh, performance-driven creative in 12 localized languages worldwide.