Continuing our getting started guide for Facebook Ads, Boost Media will help you explore various Facebook Ads targeting options. If you haven’t already, check out the introduction to this multi-part blog series where we reviewed Facebook Ad objectives, budget, and campaign management practices.
How can I target the right customers?
With a potential audience of 1.65 billion people using Facebook, targeting the right customer segment is important. Fortunately, Facebook has some sophisticated audience targeting options. Here’s a short list to get you started:
- Geo- and language-targeting allows you to select the locations or languages you want your ads to be shown in.
- Custom Audiences enable you to target current customers on Facebook or even lookalikes of your current customers by uploading a list of customer email addresses, app IDs, or other identifiers.
- Retargeting people on Facebook who have previously visited your site is now called Custom Audiences from your Website.
- Connections enable you to target those who are friends of people already connected to your page. This practice was previously referred to as “social retargeting.”
- Detailed Targeting includes Interest and Behavior targeting plus Demographic targeting. Through Interest and Behavior targeting, you can reach people based on the pages people “Like” and are connected to, or by the type of device they’re using. With demographic targeting, you can narrow down audience by age and gender.
- Lookalike audiences enable targeting those who resemble your current customers, and people who have downloaded your app, visited your website, or “Liked” your page.
You can also layer in multiple types of targeting. For example, you can target women who are Friends of people directly connected to your page who are interested in gaming. If you select multiple targeting options, you will only reach those who meet all your targeting criteria.
Even if you want to reach men and women of all ages with a wide variety of interests, you may want to create separate ads for various niches—because you want to bid based on how valuable an audience segment is to you with respect to CLV (customer lifetime value) and the likelihood to convert. Plus, your engagement and conversion rates will also be better if you use ad creative customized and tailored to niche audiences.
Where to go from here
You can potentially reach 1.65 billion people through Facebook Advertising. Moreover, with the platform’s sophisticated ad targeting options, you can reach your intended audience segment within that pool of 1.65 billion when armed with a great strategy and plan of execution.
Stay tuned for the next installment of this blog series where we will talk about ad creative and ad formats.